Friday, March 12, 2010

Cakesperiment #2- Chocolate Butter Cake for St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Cake

I have a lovely heart cupcake pan that I saw a few years ago at William's Sonoma and just could not resist.

I made Cookie Valentines for Valentine's Day this year and never quite got around to using this pan. It makes such adorable little heart cakes and I did not want to wait another whole year to use it. So I came up with the idea to cover the hearts in green fondant and make them into a shamrock.

See that little mini cake in the background of the picture? I placed my shamrock right on top of it.


I think it makes a cute little mini cake, don't you?

Now for the inside of the cake. I chose to use Rose Berenbaum Levy's Chocolate Butter Cake recipe from "The Cake Bible" for this cake. I did not have the dutch process cocoa that the recipe called for on hand so I just used regular baking cocoa. I think the dutch process cocoa would give it a richer chocolate flavor and I will be using it in the future. The texture of the cake was moist with a fine crumb and though it could have used a more chocolatey taste, it was still very good. I gave the Chocolate Butter Cake a crumb coat of classic buttercream before covering it in white fondant.



I recently ran across a recipe for Chocolate Irish Whiskey Cake and I think I will try that if I make another shamrock cake to make it even a little more festive for St. Patty's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment