Monday, March 15, 2010

More White Velvet Cake with Abby Cadabby and Elmo Fondant Figures

At the beginning of this month we celebrated my sweet daughter's second birthday with a cake that I decked out with her favorite colors and characters.
Can you tell what her favorite colors are?

How about her favorite characters?

Elmo.


Abby Cadabby.

Abby Cadabby was by far the most complex fondant figure I have done to date. I learned by trial and error that the more complicated figures need to be made in stages. I ended up doing Abby's head first and then let it dry. I applied her freckles using the purple pen from my Americolor Gourmet Writer set.

Her hair was next. You can not see the strands of hair on top of her head in the photo, but those were done by rolling the pink and purple fondant out thinly and individually placing each strand on her head.

The pigtails are pink and purple fondant swirled together. Each piece of the daisy ponytail holders was individually made and put together. I used my fluted pastry wheel to cut strips of fondant to make the ruffles for Abby's dress.

I will spare you the rest of the details. I am not an expert yet, and therefore I'm definitely not qualified to give step by step instructions :) I am learning though. I am finding the fondant figures take patience and creativity.

However, I definitely felt like it was worth the effort when my daugther recognized her favorite characters on the cake and squealed with delight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment